Monday, March 28, 2011

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light: Preview

Ok, I will openly admit... I'm a Grohl fanboy. Basically anything the man touches I automatically love. I do believe he is the greatest all around rock musician of our time (FYI, the greatest all around musician is without a doubt Prince, but that's a subject for another post). Wasting Light comes out in less than a month, and after waiting for over three years for this new Foo album, it's not surprising that I'm a little bit pumped.

Being as fan friendly as Foo Fighters are, they've given us more than enough previews of what's coming; going as far as giving us step by step updates on the recording of the album all the way from Dave Grohl's garage on twitter.

But around a month ago we got some sound to go with the hype... A surprisingly heavy song titled White Limo popped up on YouTube, along with an awesome video featuring Lemmy... yes, that Lemmy.

To be honest, I didn't love the song. I totally love the video, but the song seems pushed to me. I can appreciate the heavier sound. But Dave's vocals by the end of it seem monotone. I mean, if you go all out then there's no big "Oomph" moment when the song needs it. He usually saves those awesome screams for when the song calls for it (see: All My Life, Breakout).

I watched it like fifteen times... and it did grow on me. But a week later they put up a rough audio version of the first single, Rope... And it not only renewed my love for the band... But it instantly became one of my favorite Foo songs...

The riff is upbeat and catchy from the get-go. Every instrument feels proficient throughout the song. And the chorus has been infinitely looped in my head.

We're still a couple days away from album release... And I can already say, this won't be an album I just burn from a friend.

Expect a full review as soon as I listen to it four or five times...

1 comment: