Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Old men swaying back and forth: Chiko's Ozzy and KISS concert review

I've dreaded writing this... Well, half of this.

Okay okay, Loz is right... Ozzy was disappointing. But not because of the music. Yeah, the setlist was hit & miss, and his voice faltered a few times. But I honestly think that we could have lived with that... Had he played for another hour or so.

It just felt like we got a second hand treatment. After reading about how awesome his tour of the states with Slash (spelled with an SH at the end) was going, and then getting what we could call half a show here, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. On top of that, paying full price and getting no opening band left the audience with an hour and a half performance at best.

I mean seriously... We were treated like such a second class show that we weren't even mentioned on the back of the official tour shirts.

I also agree with Loz that Gus G is still rather stiff. I like his style, but he still seems like an outsider to the group. But I do believe that it's only a matter of time before that gets fixed, give it until his second album with Ozz, and he should be fine. Need proof? Zakk's first album with Ozz was No Rest for the Wicked (meh), which was followed by No More Tears (wow). Get it?

Not much I can say about the rest of the band. They're good. We did find the drum solo rather tedious after ten minutes or so (I wish I was kidding).

Aside from all that, the sense of disappointment when the lights came back on was almost suffocating. I can simply say that the best thing I took from that concert was being able to say that I've seen Ozzy live. Yay me.
5/10

Now, on the other hand...

Two weeks later we had KISS, a band known for their live show. There's no way they'd disappoint us. And they didn't

They call themselves "The Hottest Band on Earth"... and with all the pyro they throw around I'll believe them. Just thinking that they stand that close to so much fire every night makes me feel bad for those old bastards. But damn, can they put on a show.

The show was spectacular, the audience was totally immersed in the experience. KISS isn't exactly the most musically proficient band, but they don't need to be. They're fun to watch and they put on a true spectacle.

Again, Puerto Rico wasn't on the shirts. But in this case, because the show was so great, it didn't hurt as much.

The one thing I might gripe about is the fact that they missed some songs. They could have cut out something from the new album and played God Gave Rock & Roll to You or God of Thunder... But that's just me nitpicking.

Note to self: Buy guitars with reflective backs that shoot fire. It's a great idea.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment