Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Netflix Reviews #1

I got Netflix a couple of weeks ago and so far its been pretty cool. I think its kind of ridiculous that we can't stream here in Puerto Rico, but I hope that will come soon. So, I will be doing Netflix reviews every three movies I watch and it will have everything from new arrivals to foreign and classics. If you have a movie that you want me to review, let me know and I will try to get it done. So, without further ado...


Never Let Me Go



This movie is based on the novel by acclaimed Japanese author Kazuo Ishiguro (The Remains of the Day). I have the novel and actually had started reading it before I went on a trip to Madrid and only took my e-book reader with me which made me stop. It stars Keira Knightley, Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield as three friends who have spent most of their young lives together with each other(in one way or another). They were raised in a sort of boarding school that sort of felt like they kept them naive for the simple reason of just keeping them naive. I liked that this was in a way a sci-fi movie, but the sci-fi aspects are so very subtle and almost irrecognizable. Carey Mulligan's Kathy is the main character and the narrator of the story. She is so likable in giving an aura of resolution and likability in the face of their destiny that the other two characters lack. Actually, I thought Garfield's character was the weakest of the three and a real waste. I was worried that director Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo) wouldn't have the skills to tackle this movie, but I was impressed by him. The thing is, this movie is depressing. I never expected it to be such a downer. I also wish some questions had been answered instead of never asked at all by the characters of the movie. This is a good movie, just make sure you have a fair amount of rainbows and puppies ready for you at the end.

6.5 out of 10

The Next Three Days



After the Academy Award winning Crash, Paul Haggis did another good movie (In the Valley of Elah) but he has never been a prolific director. The Next Three Days stars Russell Crowe as John Brennan, husband and father of one boy as he plots and plans to spring his wife Lara (Elizabeth Banks) from prison where she is being held for the murder of her boss. Suddenly, Crowe's John Brennan goes from being an everyman to suddenly planning the escape of her wife from prison. I did like the fact that not everything goes right for him, it shouldn't as he is not an expert on escaping or anything like that. I also like that he used the internet to find how to do most of the stuff he did which I can really see someone doing. The biggest problem with this film for me was that I just never felt tied to any of these characters. Crowe is subdued for most of the film and we never really get to see a great performance from him. I'm not sure Elizabeth Banks was the best choice for this character. Sure, she's a fantastic comedic actress, but unless she's doing comedy or a psycho, then I don't really buy it. In the end this film lacked something. I think it lacked soul (for lack of a better word).

5 out of 10


The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest



Everyone has heard of Steig Larsson's Millenium trilogy of books. Larsson died in 2004 and the novels were released posthumously. The books became bestsellers in no time and in no time the Swedish cinematic scene were ready to make the novels into movies. Books like this one make for perfect movies and it was insteretsing how all three of the films are different at their cores. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is a political thriller whereas the previous films where more action and mystery. Noomi Rapace is back as one of the main characters of the films, Lisbeth Salander. I started reading the first one, but haven't finished the books yet, so I'm not sure how much the movies are in terms of their source material, but I always felt Rapace was a perfect Salander. Along with Rapace, the films hang on the shoulders of experienced Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist. He plays the maverick reporter Mikael Blomkvist who helps Salander on her quest to redemption. His unending loyalty for Rapace is what keeps the movies going. Also, I am a bigger fan of political thrillers than most other genre's so this was right up my alley. It also had some courtroom drama which was really interesting. I don't know if the source material is as good as the trilogy, but the movies are really worth a watch, especially this one.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment