Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Love Muppets - The Green Album Review

When I was a kid, The Muppets were everywhere. From The Muppet Show, to the Muppet Babies, the ride at Disney's MGM Studios, and the numerous movies. Not Ninja Turtle level stuff, but they were still something I looked forward to watching.

With the first Muppet movie in over ten years coming up this November, obviously the Disney promotional machine is in full force. We're getting bombarded web shorts and creative promotion for what I consider a huge comeback film. And with that promotion comes what they've called The Green Album, which is an album of twelve classic Muppet songs covered by contemporary and indie artists.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love good cover songs, especially when done in creative fashion. I'm a big fan of compilation albums where interesting artists play songs that you would never expect from them. Sometimes it just takes a good cover to remind you how much you really love a song.

I'll be honest, I bought this album (Yes, again, I did buy this) just to hear Weezer sing Rainbow Connection. And it is by far the song I've heard the most off the album. It's always been my favorite Muppets song and I might even like this better than the original. No offense to Kermit, but Rivers Cuomo has a much better voice. This might also be the first time I've really enjoyed Hayley Williams from Paramore. The song just sounds so pretty, and I've caught myself just listening to it over and over at times. But I was really surprised with the rest of the album as well.

Notable mentions on  here go to OK Go for their very interesting take on The Muppet Show Theme. It actually opens up the album, and it sets the mood wonderfully for what turns out to be quite the quirky trip. I give them credit because taking on a theme song, especially one everyone has heard doesn't sound like an easy task.

I'm not big on Alkaline Trio, but their version of Moving Right Along is deadly accurate to the point where they're flat out quoting The Muppet Movie. And I respect an accurate cover, especially when you're mimicking Fozzy Bear half way through.

Without a doubt the funniest, and yet most puzzling cover on the album is by The Fray. I mean, The Fray is a band known for their melodies and lyrics. So obviously they cover Mahna Mahna, which has no words at all. It just proves that not all bands take themselves that seriously. It's a refreshing attitude and great to see a good band goof around and have some fun while making a really catchy tune.

The rest of the album is good, nothing spectacular. It's obviously meant to be a fun listening experience, full of nostalgia. Anyone looking at a Muppets album looking for musical brilliance is seriously misguided. We do get nice performances from Evanesence's  Amy Lee, My Morning Jacket, and a great rendition of Bein' Green by Andrew Bird.

The only problem with The Green Album is that it's for a very niche crowd. If you don't like the Muppets, this album obviously isn't for you. And if you don't like contemporary/indie music, then this album isn't for you. But if you're into both, then you're set for the month. For someone like me (who's smack-dab in the middle of both those categories) it's a very enjoyable experience. As nostalgic as watching Power Ranger reruns.

With that said, I'm going to have to pull a page out of Fefi's playbook and give The Green Album two scores: One for that niche crowd that I'm proud to belong to, and one for the rest of you sad, sad people.

And by sad people, I of course mean these two.


Chiko's personal score: 7/10
Statler and Waldorf score: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment