Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm With You - The Peppers' Triumphant Return

Talk about personal hype. If there was ever an album that had a tough one to follow, in my book, it's this one. I mean, I'm sure you know by now how much I love Stadium Arcadium, and after five years of waiting it's hard to even imagine an album that could live up to my expectations.

Does it? Well, yeah, somewhat.

I'm With You is a solid album. But more than that, it's an interesting album, which isn't a surprise from the Peppers. Being their tenth album, I expected a new sound from them. And on that they did deliver.

It's also the first appearance of the band's new guitarrist Josh Klinghoffer who had some huge shoes to fill in the absense of John Fruciante. I really do think this has been played up way too much. It's not the first time the the band has changed guitarists, and it always turns out fine. Yes, even the Dave Navarro years were good in my book.

On top of that, I challenge anyone who's complaining about Klinghoffer to check out who he's played with. The guy is no slouch. He's done five albums with Fruciante, played with Gnarls Barkley, Beck, and the Butthole Surfers just to name a few. So don't count him out yet. The dude has some pretty impressive references.

But on to what really matters, the music.

It's funny, but it feels like Raindance Maggie came out months ago. I've heard the song so many times it almost feels old. But when I first heard it the only worry I had was that it would be the fastest song on the album. I was scared that we had another By The Way on our hands, and after reviewing Incubus' latest and being let down I was way skeptical.

But when that first track comes on my worries were erased. Monarchy Of Roses smacks you in the face with a heavy bassline and a catchy everything. Truly the best song to welcome you back. And honestly, it's all downhill from there. The Peppers are still the Peppers. Once you know it's a good RHCP album, you just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The first thing that really shocks you about the album is the backing vocals first heard on Did I Let You Know. At first listen you want to know who that girl with the haunting melodic voice is. And it surprised me because I really can't recall the guys using female backing vocals since Under The Bridge, and that was a fucking choir. It's never been one single person.

After checking the booklet (yes, I actually bought the album) I couldn't find any female singers credited, so I turned to the internet. Wikipedia failed me. Google got nothing. So, I resorted to checking comments on YouTube, where I found many people asking my same question, and I finally found out that Josh Klinghoffer has the most haunting female voice I've ever heard on a man in my life.

I also need to point out how great the album sounds. Quality is usually hidden in the details, and this album has it in buckets. From the simplest of sounds, maybe a clap in the middle of a chorus, it all sounds crisp and important. No wasted motion here, just things that compliment the sound, and in turn, the music.

The other thing I need to praise is the order of the tracks; I'm With You has an amazing flow to it, and no song is one-dimensional, it knows it's strengths and it plays them up directly so you'll really notice them. I called the album a ride earlier, and I meant it. The best example of this at the end of the Goodbye Hooray which is the heaviest song on the album and it's placed right in the middle of it. As this heart-pumper of a song comes to a close, the next song's opening totally shocked me, because it was led by a piano. That's right, Happiness Loves Company, a Red Hot Chili Peppers song led by a piano. It still sounds off to me, but it works and I loved it. And the fact that it came right after the hardest song on the album just made it that much bigger an impact.

For those wondering, the pianist is Greg Kurstin, another one of those guys who has played with everyone. That seems to be the running trend in this album. Along with Kurstin we also have guest percussionists Mauro Refosco, and Lenny Castro; with at least one of them present in all the songs on the album, it makes it beat heavy and easy to move to. I've never been much of a dancer, but I'm not ashamed to say that I rocked around my room to most of this album.

Then we have what we knew we were getting, and yes, the Peppers 'still got it' where it counts. I've always thought that Anthony Kiedis was a much better melody maker than a lyricist and singer. He has a great voice, but his ability to create melodies is something to bow down to, and it might not be as acknowledged as Flea's basslines and technique, but to me is just a big a staple of the Pepper's unique sound.

Chad Smith has always been a good drummer, but it's nice to see them bring in some reinforcements for the percussion every once in a while. It fills out the sound nicely and really adds to the music.

And Mr. Klinghoffer does his job rather well. It's obvious that he's still settling into the role, but he changes the sound just enough to make it his own. He doesn't steal the album, but when he needs to shine, he does, and he does it with style. Josh brings a heavier style than Fruciante, a bit grungier, and as much as that doesn't sound like the Chili Peppers it might just be the next step in this ever-evolving band's sound. And I like that.

So, did it live up to my expectations? Well considering that their previous is my favorite of all time, then no. But that by any means a knock on this album, it's just more praise for Stadium Arcadium.

I'm With You is a great, fun album. And it fits perfectly into the Pepper's stacked discography.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment