Sunday, October 30, 2011

Las Cargas - The Funnest Band In Puerto Rico

This might be a tough one. I've written about movies, TV, music, books. I've written rants and articles. I've written about things I love, and things I loathe. I've never written about people I actually know.

This is also the first time I've had to review an album where I'm more accustomed to seeing it performed live. This lends itself to the interesting dynamic where the album version feels weirder to me that hearing it in person. And in this case it's a whole different experience that could almost lead to two totally different reviews.

But I've been requested by the band's singer, so I guess I need to give this a whirl.

Las Cargas is a really hard band to describe. It would be easy to call it punk, but it isn't. And that's why I like them better live. Las Cargas is what that garage punk band you used to like in high school would sound like if they ever took music seriously and decided to keep playing. But more than anything, they're just an awesome stage show, and what makes them so special is how they drag you in just far enough for you to feel like a part of the show. They're multi-layered and multi-faceted. And I really don't think that translates well into a recorded medium. But that doesn't mean the record is bad; like with many bands, it just doesn't compare to the live experience.

The live experience just stands for itself. I would openly say that Pekeke is among the best frontmen around. He just sets up a fun show, and is an expert in making the audience feel like they're an important part of it. Adding to that is the fact that they paint their faces, which is kinda hard to explain. When it's a Las Cargas show Omar shows up, paints his face, and becomes Pekeke. And that's how every band member is, they transform into a character, and you can tell. They keep in character and even get angry at you if you mention their "real" names.
A fun bunch... Right?
Oddly enough, the album stands on it's own. It has it's differences that make it stand apart from seeing the band live; mostly sound related. Sound-wise the drums steal the show. I'm not sure how or where they recorded the album, but El Conde sounds amazing on every track. That's not to say anyone sounds bad. The whole album sounds great. It's just that the drums just seem to get special treatment.

The album stands at almost an hour in length, which is surprising for the style they play. I've judged albums before for being too short, but in this case, even though most of the songs are really short they supply enough of them. The one bad thing I can say is that some of the songs almost feel like skits, but they're still skits that get stuck in your head. You just find yourself singing them over and over. The best example of this has to be BaƱo (Na, Na, Na). Seriously, I just told you most of the words to the song. It translates to 'time to take a bath' and it's become that the one song I hum on the way to the shower.

The rest of the album is littered with songs that will be stuck in your head for a good while, and most of them are simple enough that you learn them by the second listen. Just stuff that you find yourself singing along to without even noticing, and when you do, you'll love it even more.

Unfortunately, it pales in comparison to what these guys are live. The music loses a lot of steam when heard by yourself, through headphones. These songs are meant to be heard in person, at a party, with a bunch of people who know and love them. So yes, the album is nice and dandy, but if you ever get the chance to see Las Cargas live, don't hesitate. I've seen a lot of shows, and I don't think I've seen a band that has more fun at their own shows than these guys. And they make sure the audience feels that.

7/10

Since it's a local band I'm going to link you to...
Las Cargas' Facebook page.
The album on Amazon.
And the video for Alcoholico Ezquizofenico.

No comments:

Post a Comment