Tuesday, April 26, 2011

From the bargain bin: X-Men Origins: Wolverine (the game)

Lets get this out of the way: I hate the movie. I really, really hate this movie. It slaughters a good handful of great Marvel characters and reduces them to cameo appearances at best, right before either killing them off, or causing irreversible character damage to the point where a total franchise reboot is needed.

The only thing that sold me on this game was the fifteen minute demo I played when it came out. I saw promise in the fighting system and in the almost RPG-ish leveling up. But most of all, I saw what every X-Men movie and cartoon was missing: Blood and gore.

That's right parents, this isn't the superhero game you buy your six year old. It's bloody as hell. I'm talking Mortal Kombat level gore here. I mean, there are trophies for dismembering your victims.

Don't believe me? I don't blame you. Here, watch this...

The game is far from perfect though, but I can actually blame most of the problems on the movie. The parts that actually stray from the plot are pretty much great story-wise. But the rest of the time it's just a slightly extended version of the crap movie, with the same characters, and the same actors voicing them.

For the record, no, I do not like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine... But that's a story for another post.

The gameplay is slightly repetitive. I do assume it will get tiresome on my second playthrough (because I do intend to get that Platinum) but up until now the it just looks so great and gory that it just feels satisfying to carve someone up.

Also, most of the bosses are just way too easy. They are built up nicely but they go down way too fast. In an attempt to make these fights cinematic they really took away from the difficulty of the game.

The real star of the game is Wolverine's regeneration factor. Logan gets his ass kicked in this game. He falls from the sky at least five times... He then gets up and flashes his ribcage and internal organs at us just in time for us to see his skin grow back.

All in all, not the best game in the world, but for $18, it made for an interesting weekend.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment