Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rejuvenating the Sound: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light album review

Not much of a secret here... I've been looking forward to this. That's why I've taken my sweet time listening to it. And I must say, I am not disappointed.

First off, let me get this out in the open... I haven't bought an album in a very long time. I'm not ashamed of that at all. But in this case I'm really glad I did. I gladly wasted spent ten dollars on this album. And if i were to enjoy all albums half this much, I might buy them more often.

Now, onto the music. I popped the CD into my car stereo as I pulled out of my parking space; by the time I was leaving the mall parking lot I had realized that Bridges Burning was my new favorite track on the album, dethroning Rope just by a little bit. This first track is just so much fun; a really simple riff just thrown around in so many tones with a catchy chorus.

The first thing I noticed is how much fuller the band's sound was. I had expected it after reading that Pat Smear was back with the group for the first time since 1997's The Colour and the Shape. Now with three solid axemen in Grohl, Smear, and Shiflett the Foo's sound is just powerful. The three guitars meld perfectly together with Mendel's flawless bass playing to create memorable melodies that stick almost as much as the choruses do. But the true showstealer on this album is without a doubt Taylor Hawkins who not only helps accent the other instruments, but also chimes in with drum flurries that truly make songs memorable.

Ironically, the last album I heard with this type of drumming was the debut album for Them Crooked Vultures in 2009, where Grohl was drumming. It's just a complimentary drumming style, not overbearing like other rock acts.

Anywho, after Bridges Burning the album jumps into the first single, Rope. And I must say, it's at this point where I was truly surprised. I was so excited by that first song, that I almost wanted to skip the one I'd heard before in search of further surprises. I was then reminded that it's a great song, and I just can't skip it.

Dear Rosemary, the first "slow" song on the album starts and doesn't automatically catch your attention. But much like White Limo that comes right after I must say it's one of those songs that really grows on you. It's a fifty-fifty thing with this album. Half the songs are in your head right off the bat, and the other half somehow end up there eventually as well. Since I got the album I've probably had most of these songs stuck in my head at some point or another. That's a pretty good sign.

I hate to repeat my references, but Arlandria, the fifth song starts off with a very Them Crooked Vultures-y  riff to it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. It actually feels refreshing after the heart-pumper that is White Limo. But that riff quickly melts away to reveal a song that is both clever lyrically and musically. Sounds like a second single to me (but it probably won't be). I wouldn't be surprised if they milked the shit out of this album with four or five singles. Again, in this case, it's not a bad thing, the song are just good enough.

These Days starts up, and you get that "this could be a single" feeling again. Oddly enough, this was the first song off the album that I knew a lyric from. Mr. Grohl posted some of the lyrics on the band's Twitter, and for a second there I felt like I was a part of it... My mark out moment was interrupted by the opening riff to Back & Forth, which has the most obvious sex reference chorus in band history, even though it's totally kept PG. Still a fun song, mostly carried by vocal melodies.

Ok, maybe I lied before, there might be some filler in this album. Certain songs are fine, but they seem sub-par when compared to some of the really great ones. A Matter of Time for example, isn't at all a bad song, it just  feels out of place in comparison. On the other hand, I did notice that the song is almost built for live shows. I can just tell that this song caters to a big crowd, and I can't wait for a DVD to prove I'm right. But for now I might skip this song every once in a while.

But the filler is followed by more kick-ass. Next up is probably my second favorite song on here. Miss the Misery starts off like a good kick in the gut. It's a really good back and forth song to start rounding up the end of the album. This song is probably the bets example of that three guitar arrangement I'm such a big fan of. It's the little details in here that make it fun.

The Foos slow down the tempo one last time with I Should Have Known, which is the slowest song on the album, but it's a goodie. Not exactly one of the songs that gets stuck in your head, but it might be that "oh, that song" song.

Rounding up the tail end of Wasting Light, we get Walk, which seems to be the second single (I'm guessing, it's advertised on the sticker on the wrapper). It really reminds me of the vibe from Times Like These from 2002's One By One album. It's a nice song, but I really hope it's not the second single. There are much better songs on here.

From listening to this album, it's clear that the band had a blast recording this album. But there seems to be an element of anger missing from it. Aside from White Limo there's very little intensity to these songs. They're fun to listen to, but it's not much of a "rock-out" album. I miss the rage in Dave's voice from songs like Breakout  or All My Life. This is me nitpicking. Nobody's perfect.

Did it live up to my expectations. In a way, yes. I fell in love with Rope when I first heard it, and I got more songs like it. But I did expect more out of the album. I still love it tho, and if I need rage I'll just go back and listen to One By One again.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment