Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Marvel does anime!?: Wolverine anime review


Did you know that Marvel started doing twelve chapter animes?! Because I had no fucking clue!

Wolverine is actually the second one they've done, it just finished last month and I happened  to have stumbled upon it right here.

First of all I need to warn you... You might have to throw most of your Wolverine knowledge out the window for this one. There are a lot of very well placed nods to those who know their comic book history, but really, you're supposed to just look at this as a whole new experience... Which is what I tried to do.

The first thing that really bugged me is the animation style. Wolverine is not a pretty boy (and I'm already failing at what I stated in the previous paragraph, but fuck it), he doesn't wear oops-I-did-it-again red leather jackets, he doesn't have a cutesy jap mullety haircut... He's fuckin' Wolverine... Rugged, and badass... And that's all you need. Then again, I've never seen anime Wolverine before... So maybe this is what he's supposed to look like. I guess I just don't like it.

On the other hand every thing else is pretty nice. Totally ignoring the comic books, the story stands well on it's own and it's actually very well told over twelve episodes. The dialogue is bearable, with it's obvious couple of anime-cliches thrown in, but it's not repetitive and I love that.

The action is good and well spread out. Every episode has it's own fight scene, some better than others. And for a twelve chapter anime it has a lot of bad guys, which is fun.

Being anime, it know it's advantages too. Biggest one being the blood. I love the fact that you actually see Wolverine draw blood with his claws this time around. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was tired of the gore-less stabbings in the movies... Well not this time. There's not as much as I would have liked (Elfen Lied style!) but there's enough to keep me satisfied.

All in all, it could have been better. But honestly I enjoyed it. It may be the fanboy in me, but as long as they don't totally fuck up the characters a la Origins with Deadpool, I'll be fine with it. I look forward to watching more Marvel Anime soon... Next up... Iron Man.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment