Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Matt Lucas scares the hell outta me... 'Bridesmaids' Review


Kristen Wiig is not only funny, but pretty darn hot if you ask me. She plays Annie, a down on her luck woman who just lost her bakery, has some creepy ass roommates (played by the ever disturbing Matt Lucas and the now forever disturbing Rebel Wilson) and sleeps around with a guy that is a total douchehog (Jon Hamm from Madmen fame in full on dick mode). Annie finds out that her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is getting married and has become her maid of honor. Of course, everything goes wrong for Annie and that is where hilarity ensues. I don't want to give too much away so I'll just tell you what I thought.

I didn't know much about the movie before going to see it. I had no idea Wiig (and Annie Mumolo) wrote it herself and that they wanted to take that Superbad and The Hangover style and translate it so that women could relate. Wiig is a witty writer, and I was quite impressed with the way I felt towards the characters. I think the characters and the witty dialogue were what made this movie a hilarious comedy in a year with so many sub-par comedy movies.

I also have to applaud the effort of making this movie into the female version of the movies I mention above. In a genre that has been male oriented forever, they managed to take the things that made those two movies above great and made it their own. Let me make this clear, this is not a subtle romantic comedy. If you go to the movies expecting that, you will be sorely disappointed. This is not the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. You see women doing the visual gags that we always see guys doing (throwing up and shitting in all the wrong places). The movie has its gross parts, that's for sure. This is not the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

The characters are what really endeared me to the film. There's the bride who is trapped between two worlds, the best friend who is broke and on the dumps, the hot and rich socialite, the MILF, the cute prude and the crass and slightly off her rocker fat girl. All of them play off of each other very well.

I was so pleasantly surprised by the movie that I went to check out what other stuff the director had done in his career and I was glad that I didn't know much about the movie because the last thing Paul Feig had done was Unaccompanied Minors, which quite frankly stunk.

The one thing that I was afraid of during the movie was the romance between Wiig's Annie and Chris O'Dowd's Rhodes. It seemed a little bit too forced at first, but then after they got a little bit more time together on screen, it sort of all worked. Give it a shot. If you don't find Annie incredibly endearing then I don't know what I could say to convince you.


Matt Lucas: "Hi, roomie!"
You: "AAAAAHHHHHH"

Before I forget, I have to give props to Judd Apatow. He has consistently produced some of the best comedy movies of the last decade. The guy just has the nose for what people like in comedy movies.

In closing, this movie is hilarious and people should go out and watch it as much as they watched The Hangover. Forget that its all girls. This movie is the real deal. You won't be disappointed.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment