Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spotlight: Cannes Film Festival 2011 Part Deux




The next film on my Cannes Film Festival Spotlight is Pedro Almodóvar’s La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In). The film deals with a plastic surgeon played by Antonio Banderas whose wife dies in a car fire and he spends his days trying to create a skin that would have protected her from the fire. He eventually is able to create a skin impermeable against any kind of assault after twelve years.



I don’t know what happens next and I wouldn’t want to ruin my experience with the newest film from Almodóvar. This is one of those directors that everyone waits patiently for his next film because everyone knows that while someone might not like it, they are in for an interesting experience that you won’t find with many other directors right now. His last two feature films (Los abrazos rotos or Broken Embraces and Volvér) had some of the best female characters (two of them played by Penélope Cruz), so I’m wondering if this film will have a character like that or if the film will concentrate on the character of the doctor and his motivations. Either way, it is a must see film.

Also, am I the only one that sees the similarities between this character and Mr. Freeze? No? Damn…

---


I actually saw the trailer of this next film at the movie theater when I went to watch an Italian romantic comedy called Ex. Terrence Malick’s The Tree of Life is the story of a Midwestern family during the 1950s. It deals with the life of the eldest son Jack (Sean Penn) as we see him live his life through his childhood all the way to him all grown up.



To tell you the truth, I am not a big fan of Terrence Malick. His last movie was one of the biggest bore fests I have seen in a long time. The New World was just plain bad. It worries me that he is the director, but the cast is just too good to pass up. Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are proven actors and they alone could make this movie fantastic. Sure, it might also be just ok, but I have a feeling that its going to be pretty damn good.

---


Last movie for tonight is the incredibly interesting Melancholia by director Lars von Trier. Apparently, there’s a planet called Melancholia that is heading towards Earth. Two sisters played by Kristen Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg have their relationship tested by everything that is going on. Check out the trailer, because this movie is hard to explain…



Yes. The film is strange. Lars von Trier has been criticized before for movies like 2009’s Antichrist and maybe the criticism is warranted. I don’t believe so. I think he has a vision that is just that different from most people’s sensibilities. Antichrist isn’t an easy movie to watch, but it’s a movie that will elicit a response from you, whether good or bad. I’m not sure about Kristen Dunst… not a big fan of her, but Charlotte Gainsbourg is a fantastic actress and Dunst could really work with her. There’s a nice supporting cast as well with guys like Stellan Skarsgard and his son (of True Blood fame) Alexander, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt. I have big expectations for this weird sci-fi thriller.

Still more to come soon! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment