Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More of the same, and that's a good thing: 30 Rock season 5

I'm very much ashamed to say that two months ago I hadn't even watch one single episode of this show. Five seasons and several late night laughter complaints from my brother,  I've finally caught up, and I loved every second of it.

As someone who mara-viewed (TM) through five seasons, let me be the first to say that in it's time, 30 Rock hasn't changed at all. It follows it's formula to a tee, but why wouldn't they. Through numerous awards, year after year... They are the quintessential example of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As with any show, it has it's weaknesses, but it really knows how to to hide them. Lets be honest, there isn't one person in the world who hasn't wanted to smack Tracy Morgan at some point. But I'd say that was more during his SNL years. The writers for 30R know how to write for him, and keep the annoying to a minimum.

This season saw a number of landmarks for the show. The fourth episode in the season, titled Live Show, was (you guessed it!) taped live. But even then, they transcended with their trademark wit and made you feel like you were in on some huge inside joke.

The other big moment in the season is nearly at the end with an episode titled 100, which is (damn, you're good!) the 100th and 101st episode, marking the first time that she show has pulled a double.

All in all, another enjoyable season from one of the good ones on right now. With another season in the works, I can only hope for another live ep.

8/10

Also, we here at SiD would like to congratulate Ray for his small screen debut in the episode I Heart Conneticut as the episode stealing Slaughterface. I automatically knew it was him, we are all kinda peeved that he didn't tell us about this.
There's no doubt about it. We have a star on our hands.


1 comment:

  1. I go on leave to study and get shitfaced and what do I find? We're getting cameos in shows now? Screw studies, I want a show cameo. Gonna write up a few reviews now to catch up.

    ReplyDelete