Wednesday, July 20, 2011

If Not Now, When? - Incubus tones it down

"Jump, jump, jump!"
How much anticipation is too much anticipation? That might be the question that hinders Incubus' latest album If Not Now, When?.

It's been five years since Light Grenades came out. That's a whole lot of anticipation after a really good album, it leaves some pretty big shoes to fill. And I hate to say it, but after such a well rounded album like Light Grenades, INNW? feels kinda flat.

I'm not saying it's a bad album by a long shot. It shows musical growth from a band that has really evolved over time. And I really do like the songs, it's just the tone of the album, it's so monotonous. Any song on here could stack up nicely on it's own in the right moment. But as a whole, it's just too mellow for my taste. And if you listen to the whole album it just feels like one long soft song.

It does have it's high points. Certain choruses and riffs tend to stick in your head for a while. But nothing overly memorable. I will say that the rhythm and lead guitars have seemed to find a special synch that they hadn't found yet, and it shows in some songs. And of course Brandon Boyd always does a spectacular job with vocals. But they seemed to falter when it comes to the crazy sounds and awkward effects that I've learned to expect from Incubus, they're just not there.

I'm not using it as an excuse or anything, and I'm kinda known for not losing faith in bands after a blah album, but every alt-rock band tends to go through an overly-mellow phase. I mean, the Red Hot Chili Peppers did By The Way, just to follow it up with Stadium Arcadium (my favorite album ever), and it's not the first time that a band has squeaked by with a decent album just to come back with a great one. It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I really haven't written off Incubus just yet.

But for now, we have this; If Not Now, When?... Well, I can't answer that. I just know we have decent elevator/backround music for a really easy going party from Incubus. And that's not really a bad thing.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment