Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Netflix Reviews #3


Unknown

What's better than Liam Neeson destroying Europe? He did it first with the pretty awesome Taken and now with this movie, he basically does it again. I wouldn't mind watching more action movies with Neeson at the helm. This one wasn't better than Taken, mostly because of the writing and directing, but this movie is interesting mostly because of the fantastic supporting cast. Dr. Martin Harris is in Germany because of an important scientific conference but before he can get to his hotel with his wife Elizabeth (January Jones), he has a car accident in which he forgets who he really is and begins believing some other reality. Illegal immigrant Gina (Diane Kruger) helps him to find out who he is because someone has taken his identity. He goes to a detective (Bruno Ganz) and the truth is unveiled. I won't ruin it for you but its not that hard to figure it out. The performances from Jones, Ganz, and eventually Frank Langella are pretty damn good and keep you entertained throughout. There are some inconsistencies in the reasons for their actions (which I won't ruin for you) but its a nice action flick for when you are bored.

"Find me a Chuck Norris, a Jack Bauer and a Liam Neeson before Rebecca Black takes over the world!"

7 out of 10

Source Code

This movie stars Jake Gyllenhall as Colter Stevens. He is a helicopter pilot in Afghanistan of whatever place in the Middle East he was supposedly at who is now trying to solve a terrorist attack by actually getting inside the body of one of the passengers of the train that was blown up. Now, I'm all up for interesting premises, but the dialogue here is so fake that it feels like when a grown up who doesn't know anything about computers starts talking about binary codes and hard drives. The science here is ridiculously stupid. If you are going to try to explain the science, at least try and do a decent job of explaining. How could they create the train and everything inside if it all blew up? Don't you need a brain of one of the dead people in the train or something to have a working layout? And how can one brain be able to create a whole train with every detail, let alone a whole city... it makes no sense. The movie could have been cool but its so dumb it hurts my head. I'm really surprised because I really loved Duncan Jones' previous film Moon.

4 out of 10

Due Date

And I thought Source Code would be the worst movie out of this batch. I was so wrong. This movie tried to be a buddy movie and it failed horribly. The last few really cool buddy movies like Superbad, I Love You, Man, The Hangover and even Bridesmaids had something that separated them from this dross... the main characters actually liked each other. From the beginning its obvious that Robert Downey Jr.'s Peter Highman and Zach Galifianakis' Ethan Tremblay/Chase will never, in any scenario, really like each other. All the characters in this movie are pretty damn despicable. The only one that doesn't do enough to show us how crappy she can be is Michelle Monaghan as Peter's expecting wife. Most of the movie is so incredibly goofy that whenever they try to have a touching scene I couldn't help but expect someone to scream "Gotcha!". Even Jamie Foxx as one of Peter's friends is unlikable. What a failure of a movie. I've liked some of Todd Phillips previous film but this one just lacked any sort of real feeling.

"Help! The makers of this film have me man-napped!"

3 out of 10


Teeth

When I read the premise of this movie, I couldn't believe it. I didn't see how this could work unless it was going to be one of those horror movies that rely on the gore to tell their story and forget about the thrill and the suspense. This movie was directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein who I had never seen a movie of and I'm not surprised since this is his first full feature film. What a strange premise for a movie. A woman is born with what they call "vagina dentata". This mythological legend is all about fear of sex and fear of womanhood. Yes, she has teeth in her vagina. Jess Weixler plays Dawn, the lucky toothed lady. I think she does a pretty good job at conveying her fears and at the same time finally embracing her "gift". I really don't know what to say. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the campiness, but at the same time I was freaked out whenever a penis was cut off. I guess that is what it set out to do. The whole point of this movie was to freak a whole generation of men. It worked.

5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment